There is nothing better than getting into your bed and having a restful sleep after a long tiring day. Clocking a solid 7 to 9 hours of good night’s sleep can help you feel refreshed and start a new day on a happy note. Several studies prove that a sound sleep every night helps maximize the natural regenerating power of our bodies.
Unfortunately, many people do not realize the importance of having a quality mattress. Snoozing on an old mattress can be uncomfortable, leaving you tossing and turning throughout the night and feeling tired in the morning. Poor sleep quality can spell bad news for your health.
If you find it difficult to get a decent night’s sleep, the culprit could be your old, saggy mattress. In this post, let us explore the effects of sleeping on an old mattress and how replacing it with a high-quality one can help reclaim your quality of life.
How an Old Mattress Affects Your Health
Buying a new mattress seems like something many people try to put off — blame their lack of interest on the price tag. As long as their old mattress is “sleepable,” it can do significant damage to your health more than your sleep.
- Increase Stress Level – Stress is only caused by job or health problems. There are various studies showing how an old mattress can make you feel more stressed. The results of a study show that stress levels dropped significantly in the second month of using a new mattress. This only shows that sleeping on an old, saggy mattress can increase the cortisol levels in your body.
- Lead to Back Pain – Sagging in the middle is one sign your mattress needs to be replaced ASAP. You will end up sleeping in an awkward position in the centre of the bed. Many health professionals agree that sleeping on a bad mattress can cause and aggravate pain symptoms, including chronic back pain. Waking up every morning feeling sore and stiff can affect your quality of life. Over time, the nagging pain can result in sleep disturbance, discomfort, and exhaustion.
- Trigger Allergies – Bed bugs and dust mites can be swarming your old mattress. Sleeping on a dirty mattress can be a health risk. Dust mites thriving inside the foam can feed on your dead skin and body oil. These harmful microscopic pests do not only increase your risk of skin allergies like eczema, pimples, dry skin. It can also lead to respiratory problems, such as asthma, runny nose, and nasal congestion.
- Promote Snoring – When the mattress fails to provide you with proper body support, your airways can be put under tension, causing you to snore. If this is not immediately prevented, snoring can lead to serious health problems.
- Trigger Respiratory Illnesses – Sleeping on an old mattress can result in respiratory health problems as well. The combination of your sweat and the darkness in the room makes your mattress a perfect breeding ground for mould, which you may end up breathing in. This can trigger asthma and wheezing. Moreover, these symptoms can get worse and lead to lung infection, especially if you are suffering from pre-existing respiratory problems.
- Unwanted Weight Gain – Did you know that sleeping on an old mattress can result in unwanted weight gain due to overeating? Sleep professionals claim that insufficient sleep can cause an imbalance in hormones, leading to overeating. Lack of sleep can affect two hormones, Leptin and Ghrelin which are considered as the “yin and yang of hunger.” Ghrelin accelerates your appetite — it sends a signal to the brain that you are running on empty fuel and require energy. Leptin, on the other hand, acts as the brake — it tells your brain that you are full and satisfied.
- Affect Your Heart Health – A study conducted by the European Heart Journal shows poor sleep can take a toll on your heart health. Lack of sleep can increase your chances of developing a heart condition by 48%.
- Cause Joint Pain – Although your pillows play a huge role here, lying down on a poor quality mattress can also contribute to neck pain. When a used mattress becomes saggy or lumpy, it can affect the positioning of your body in relation to your head.
- Impair Your Memory – People who are not getting enough sleep due to a bad mattress are more prone to memory issues. Memories are formed during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Sleep disturbances can prevent you from entering REM sleep. This affects the brain’s ability to form new memories, leading to memory impairment.
How to Choose the Right Mattress for Your Sleeping Needs
There are 3 types of mattresses that you can buy: foam, innerspring, and adjustable. Unfortunately, there is a no-size-fits-all solution for choosing the right type of mattress. It all boils down to your sleeping style.
- Side Sleepers – If you sleep on your side, you will need a mattress that will support your body weight and conform to your shape. Choosing an innerspring can provide you with more pressure relief than a foam or latex mattress. However, a soft foam mattress with built-in pressure relief points around the hips and shoulder is also a good choice.
- Stomach Sleepers – If you sleep on your stomach, memory foam is never a good choice. Choose a firm foam or dense innerspring mattress for the best support.
- Back Sleepers – If you sleep on your back, buy a mattress that provides something in between. A firm surface that supports but feels comfortably soft to give your spine a healthy alignment.
It is Time to Invest in a New, Quality Mattress!
If you think that your mattress prevents you from getting a night of restful sleep, then it is high time to get rid of it and invest in a new one. While a high-quality mattress benefits you with years of comfortable sleep, there is no way of telling how long it will last. There are several factors that can affect its life expectancy. However, most mattress manufacturers recommend replacing it every 6 to 8 years.
Buying a new, premium quality mattress offers much more than improving your sleep — it also elevates your quality of life! A night of quality sleep can do wonders for your health.
Health is wealth. If you think you need to replace your old, dirty, saggy, mattress, do not procrastinate! Visit the best mattress store in Toronto. Sleep Masters Canada offers a wide selection of the best premium, high-quality mattresses and accessories that will ensure you comfortable and restful sleep every time.
Call us at 416-781-7441 or use our contact form if you want to request a custom build service.